A motor vehicle accident can damage more than just cars. If you had other property that got damaged in an accident, you deserve compensation. This compensation can help you make the repairs. This is the case when you are not at fault for the accident. If you want to make a damage claim for property other than your vehicle, you can do so with this information.

Damage To Your Property

Damage to your property can come in many unexpected ways. If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident, you might expect there to be damage to your car. While this might be the case, there can also be damage to your other property. A few common examples of situations where other property can get damaged are:

  • If a car drives through a fence on your property.
  • If a car drives into a structure on your property, such as your home, shed, or garage.
  • If someone trying to enter or leave your driveway hits your garage door.
  • If a driver hits your mailbox that is at the edge of your property and on the street.

What To Do

In these situations, you should file a property damage claim. This is the same thing you would do if you were in a regular car accident. The cost of damage to your property can vary. Obviously if something small was damaged, such as a mailbox, there won’t be much compensation to pursue. But, if your house or another big piece of property got damaged, the damage could be expensive. It could cost thousands of dollars to fix. In this situation, the at-fault party should be responsible for paying for the damages.

As soon as there is damage to your property, you should get the information of the driver who caused the accident. If you realize that there is damage to your property but you did not see it happen, this can make the situation more difficult. Whether you know who the at-fault party is or not, contacting the police is in your best interest. Talking to the police can make sure that an incident report is filed. This can be helpful for the records of the case.


If you know who the at-fault party is, and they accept liability, their insurance policy should pay for the damages. If you don’t know who the at-fault party is, you should try to review your own insurance policy. In some cases, the damages will be covered by your insurance policy. If this happens, your insurance company can contact the driver’s insurance company later on to try to get compensation. If the other party is not accepting or denying liability yet, you might have to pay the costs of repair upfront. But, if the driver is found to be liable down the line, they will be responsible for providing compensation.

Damage to your house or your property can be very expensive. To make sure that you don’t have to pay the costs out-of-pocket, you should contact a lawyer. They can help you review your insurance policy and protect your rights. For more information, please contact our office.